Collingwood is known to be one of the oldest suburbs in Victoria. Before, it was a popular industrial site for the large factories of shoes, spinners, wool carders, and scourers. Over time, the industrial locations transformed to fashion entrepreneurs to cater to the changing demographics of the suburb. Along with the transformation of businesses were old buildings refurnished into art galleries and independent radio stations.
Walking around Collingwood, you can still see remnants of history through the few preserved remaining architectural infrastructures. Here are some of the Collingwood infrastructures that definitely tell stories:
Collingwood Town Hall
During the war in the late 19th century, Collingwood Town Hall has been a go-to place for people to dance to. On the early years of the 20th century, a part of the building was converted into a makeshift cinema.
Former Collingwood Post Office
This infrastructure was established at 174-180 Smith Street in 1868 having been relocated from its previous location on the north side of Peel Street. This former post office has served the people for many years until it was redevelopved as apartments.
This is believed to be the smallest house in Victoria. With its size of 8 feet and 6 inches, Doll’s house has still managed to have two rooms. Despite of its size, it has served as a dwelling for many families for over a century. The Doll’s House was later on registered by Heritage Council Victoria.
History is who we are and why we are the way we are. Surely, Collingwood had gone through a lot of changes and it continues to progress over time. But the stories of the past have made a great contribution to what Collngwood is at present: a quirky and creative suburb with its own effortless charm.